Waterbury Car Accident Attorney
Car accidents happen far too often on the roads in Waterbury and across Connecticut. While some are simple fender benders that result only minor property damage, many others result in severe, catastrophic, or even fatal injuries.
If you have been hurt in a car accident that was not your fault, know that you’re not alone. Legal help is available to you in Waterbury. You have the right to hire an attorney to stand up for you so you can seek compensation for your losses.
Hiring an experienced Waterbury car accident attorney puts you in the best position to seek the most from your injury claim. At the Kocian Law Group, our lawyers will treat you how we’d like to be treated.
We understand that you’re likely dealing with stress, strain, and physical pain following an accident. It’s our job to pursue the compensation you need to rebuild your life. We take that commitment seriously.
Contact us now to schedule a 100% free consultation with our team today.
How a Waterbury Car Accident Lawyer Can Help with Your Claim
If you’ve been hurt in a car accident, your time and energy should be focused on your recovery. It’s difficult to also fight with insurance companies and defense lawyers for the compensation that you need. A Waterbury car accident lawyer will handle all communications and negotiation with the insurance company on your behalf, so you can get the treatment and rest that you need.
First, your lawyer can investigate the circumstances of your accident, collecting evidence and, when necessary, working with accident reconstruction experts to understand what really happened and who was at fault for the crash. Once the responsible parties are identified, your lawyer can build a strong claim for compensation.
Your attorney can negotiate with the responsible parties and their insurance companies to try and settle your claim for full compensation of your losses caused by the damage and injuries you’ve suffered.
If a settlement is not possible, your attorney can seek damages in court by filing a complaint and ensuring that all filing requirements and deadlines are met. If your case ends up going to trial, your attorney will tirelessly advocate on your behalf to seek a judgment that provides you with all the financial recovery you need and deserve.
Demanding Compensation after a Car Accident in Waterbury
If you were injured in a car accident that was someone else’s fault, there are multiple types of damages you can pursue. Damages for personal injuries typically fall into two categories: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages compensate for specific, quantifiable financial losses that an injured person suffered. Examples of economic damages include:
- Past and future medical expenses, including hospital stays, doctor’s office visits, surgeries, physical and occupational therapy, prescription medication, and durable medical equipment such as crutches
- Past and future lost wages, including wages lost because of time off work following the accident, and any difference between your pre-accident and post-accident income caused by a loss of earning power due to your injuries
Non-economic damages compensate an injured person for more subjective losses, such as:
- Pain and suffering, which includes the physical and emotional anguish caused by your injuries
- Loss of quality of life, which includes inability to complete tasks of daily living or to participate in activities enjoyed prior to the accident
- Loss of consortium, which compensates your spouse and your immediate family members for the loss of your companionship and services to the family household
In addition to compensation for your injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for property damage sustained in the accident, including the costs to repair or replace your vehicle, or repair or replace property inside your vehicle that was damaged or destroyed in the accident.
Time Limit for Filing a Car Accident Lawsuit in Waterbury
Under Connecticut law, you have a limited period of time to file a lawsuit for compensation for damages and injuries you have suffered in a car crash. This period is called the statute of limitations.
In Connecticut, the statute of limitations is two years for claims for personal injury and property damage arising from a car accident caused by negligent, reckless, or intentional conduct is two years. The time is measured from the date of the accident.
If you fail to file a lawsuit within the statute of limitations, the court will most likely dismiss your claim and you will lose your right to seek compensation.
In certain narrow circumstances, a court may decide to delay, or “toll,” the statute of limitations. One of the most common reasons for tolling the statute of limitations is the discovery rule. This means that the statute of limitations does not begin until a claimant knows, or reasonably should know, of the facts and circumstances giving rise to the claim. Connecticut law also permits tolling the statute of limitations for up to seven years if the other party leaves the state or if the responsible party wrongfully conceals their identity or other facts supporting the claim.
Tips for Protecting Your Rights after a Car Accident in Waterbury
If you are involved in a car accident in Waterbury, there are certain steps you can take to protect your rights and put yourself in the best possible position to file a claim for compensation:
- Seek medical attention. Call 911 for emergency medical treatment, including ambulance transport to the emergency room. Even if you do not immediately feel like you were hurt, a physician may be able to identify injuries potentially life-threatening injuries before symptoms surface.
- Call the police. The police can investigate the accident and prepare an accident report that may include important information about the other drivers and the accident scene.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. Take pictures of the vehicles, their damage, and their positions after the accident. Also take photos of any skid marks on the road, road lines and traffic controls, road conditions, lighting conditions, and weather conditions.
- Get contact information. Obtain the contact information of the other drivers as this will allow you to contact them and their insurance company if you need to make a claim for compensation. Also, get contact information from witnesses if possible.
- Get a lawyer. You should contact our car accident attorneys as soon as possible. The sooner you reach out to us, the sooner we can start building a case for your recovery. You won’t have to worry about dealing with insurance companies and other business related to the crash.
Talk to a Waterbury Car Accident Attorney Now
You don’t have to face the legal system alone. Our dedicated, knowledgeable car accident attorneys can help you pursue maximum compensation. Our attorneys have successfully helped others get the compensation they deserve, including $1 million dollars for a car accident victim.
Don’t wait until it is too late to take action. Contact the Kocian Law Group today to schedule a free consultation with one of our Waterbury car accident attorneys.