Can You Receive SSD Benefits for Diabetes/Mellitus?
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes mellitus, then you may be eligible to receive disability benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA).
An SSD attorney at the Kocian Law Group can help you establish your case.
In order to receive disability benefits from the SSA, you must meet the following criteria:
- be unable to perform the duties of your prior occupation,
- have a diagnosis of a medical impairment so severe that it prevents you from engaging in any substantial gainful activity, and
- have a condition that is expected to last for at least twelve consecutive months and/or to result in death.
Serious diabetes mellitus is typically characterized by:
- existence of neuropathy, as evidenced by ongoing difficulties with motor functions in two or more extremities, and
- acidosis that occurs at least once every sixty days, as evidenced by blood laboratory tests.
Let the Kocian Law Group work closely with your medical experts to build your case for Social Security disability benefits.
If your diabetes is well-controlled with medicine, then you may not be considered disabled. However, even if you stick to your dietary restrictions and take your medication according to your doctor’s instructions, your blood sugars may still exceed the normal ranges. If you are suffering from loss of strength or other conditions caused by diabetes, you should be evaluated to determine if you are “disabled” within the meaning of the law.
Children may also meet the criteria for disability based upon endocrine system disorders like diabetes, especially if they are frequently hospitalized for the condition and if medical records show that the child’s blood sugar levels fluctuate severely even with treatment. A child who experiences such diabetes-related conditions may qualify for disability benefits.
If you suffer from diabetes mellitus, then you are entitled to present all the evidence supporting your claim for benefits to the Social Security Administration. You may also have an attorney of your choice represent you throughout the process, including in any hearings before an administrative law judge or court.
If you choose to hire a member of the Kocian Law Group to assist you with your claim for disability benefits, you can be assured of comprehensive attention to the following tasks:
- Formulating a theme for your case and gathering all of the medical evidence available to demonstrate the severity of your diabetes disorder.
- Communicating closely with medical experts to obtain detailed evidence that will weigh in your favor on the issue of disability benefits.
- Submitting all of the necessary documents.
- Demonstrating how your symptoms are consistent with your medical records, how they affect your daily functioning, and how you qualify for SSD benefits.