New Britain Car Accident Attorney
Were you hurt in a car accident in New Britain? Was the accident the result of someone else’s reckless, careless, or otherwise negligent actions? If so, you could be owed significant compensation for the harm you’ve suffered.
If you can prove that the other person’s actions or inaction caused the accident, you could collect payment for your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses.
Proving negligence can be challenging. The other driver’s insurance company usually won’t pay without putting up a fight. Fortunately, you don’t have to fight this battle alone.
The New Britain car accident lawyers of the Kocian Law Group are ready to put their skills and resources to work for you. We want to see you get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Our consultations are free, and you’ll never owe us anything unless we win your case. We’re available seven days a week, so call us now to schedule your consultation with a compassionate and knowledgeable member of our team.
How Our New Britain Car Accident Attorneys Can Help You
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in New Britain or elsewhere in Connecticut, contact an experienced car accident lawyer about your legal options. When there is a lot at stake, it’s critical to avoid any costly mistakes or delays that will affect your ability to recover and move on with your life.
The single best way to accomplish this is to get an experienced car accident attorney to fight on your behalf. At the Kocian Law Group, our New Britain car accident attorneys have decades of combined experience helping clients right here in Connecticut in all of the following ways:
- Negotiating with insurance companies and navigating the claims processes
- Explaining your rights and options under Connecticut law
- Advising on realistic outcomes and helping select the most beneficial approach given your unique circumstances
- Providing an exhaustive calculation of all the compensation that you can legally claim
- Negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf
- If necessary, aggressively advocating for your rights in court
Compensation for Auto Accident Victims
Auto accident victims can suffer a variety of losses given and may be entitled to different kinds of damages. These may include compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Punitive damages
Statute of Limitations on Car Accident Claims in New Britain
A statute of limitations is a law that sets a deadline for filing a lawsuit. In other words, a plaintiff’s claim will (in almost every instance) be tossed out of court if it is filed after the applicable statute of limitations has expired.
In Connecticut, we have a statute of limitations that applies to car accident personal injury cases. Section 52-584 of the General Statutes of Connecticut states that any action brought based on a personal injury claim caused by negligent, reckless, or wanton conduct must be filed within two years of the day on which the injury was first sustained or reasonably should have been discovered.
In other words, if you are injured in a car crash in Connecticut, and you wish to file a lawsuit against the driver who caused the crash, you must do so within two years. If you miss this deadline, you will lose the right to sue.
What to Do After a Car Accident in New Britain
Being involved in a car accident is a jarring experience, and it can be hard to think clearly afterward. However, studies show that people who have thought through what to do in an emergency tend to react more calmly and thoughtfully than others.
Consider committing the following steps to memory. In an accident, your autopilot will likely kick in, and you will be able to carry out the following steps easily:
- Step 1 – Pull over to the side of the road. It is illegal to flee the scene of an accident, and nothing good will come from doing so. Turn off your vehicle and turn on your hazard lights.
- Step 2 – Choose your words carefully. In the aftermath of a car accident, drivers are often very flustered. They sometimes start apologizing to others, even though they didn’t do anything wrong. Additionally, drivers who are not visibly injured may tell others that they are “fine” as soon as they get out of their vehicles. Then, once the adrenaline wears off, they realize they are hurt. If you do end up filing a personal injury case later, it will not help your case if someone heard you accepting blame or claiming not to have been injured.
- Step 3 – Do what you can to keep yourself and others safe. Injured individuals should not be moved unless it’s unsafe to leave them where they are. Use your best judgment. If you need emergency medical treatment, don’t hesitate to accept it. If you are not taken to the emergency room by ambulance, still go for a complete medical exam as soon as you can.
- Step 4 – Call the police. Contact the New Britain police after any car accident, even a seemingly minor one. This is an important step because a police report may contain helpful information for your accident claim.
- Step 5 – Exchange information. Write down the contact information for any eyewitnesses and record a short statement from each on your phone, if possible. Additionally, exchange pertinent information with each driver involved in the accident. Take down their names, contact information, vehicle description, driver’s license number, and insurance information.
- Step 5 – Document the scene of the accident and all related injuries. Make sure to thoroughly document the scene with photos and videos from a variety of angles. Capture any skid marks, any damage to the vehicles or private property, and any visible injuries.
Please keep in mind to follow the steps listed above only if you can safely do so. Health and safety should always be your top priority.
Talk to a New Britain Car Accident Lawyer Today
In the wake of a car accident, victims are often unsure of how to proceed. It can be confusing sorting out what insurance will cover and what, if anything, the other driver owes you. Anyone who has been injured in a Connecticut car accident is strongly encouraged to contact the Kocian Law Group to discuss their legal options.
One of our seasoned New Britain car accident lawyers will be ready to sit down with you during a free initial consultation. We will discuss the accident and your resulting injuries and advise you about the best way to proceed. Please call our New Britain office today.