Connecticut Psychiatric Malpractice Attorney
Psychiatric malpractice can cause as much harm as physical medical malpractice. When you see a psychiatrist, you are already in a fragile emotional state.
Neglect and abuse by psychiatric professionals can be hard to come to terms with. Let Kocian Law Group fight on your behalf.
Psychiatric malpractice comes in five main categories:
- Abuse of power. This is when a psychiatrist uses their power and knowledge to coerce you. Psychiatrists, like doctors, have a code of ethics. They cannot use their position to convince a patient to act against his or her own best interests.
- Abusive treatment. A psychiatrist is meant to heal you. You should not be subjected to threats, belittlement, or abusive language as you try and get help for your problem.
- Diagnosis errors. When a professional misdiagnoses a psychological condition, the resulting harm can be just as serious as the misdiagnosis of a physical condition. A misdiagnosis can prevent you from receiving appropriate treatment for the condition you actually have. You may also have to undergo treatments and medications which do you no good and may cause unpleasant side effects.
- Medication errors. Even when a professional correctly diagnosis your condition, he or she may still give you the wrong type of medication or the wrong dosage of medication, causing you serious harm. When prescribing drugs, a psychiatric professional must consider your medical history, your allergies, your height and weight, and other factors that affect medication use.
- Liabilities to third parties. If someone under a psychiatrist’s care is a danger to themselves or others, the psychiatrist must ensure that an unstable person receives the help he or she needs immediately If someone is suicidal or homicidal, a psychiatrist must not ignore the signs.
If you’ve been injured by psychiatric malpractice, please do not hesitate to contact the experienced Connecticut medical malpractice attorneys at the Kocian Law Group. We can help you seek the compensation you need.