Manchester Workers' Compensation Attorney
Has your life been impacted by a work-related injury or illness in Manchester? If so, you may be entitled to benefits if you file a workers’ compensation claim.
Workers’ compensation is a form insurance that most employers are legally required to carry to protect their workers in case of an accident or occupational illness. If you are injured in a work-related accident or develop an illness due to your work, workers’ compensation can pay your medical expenses, partial replacement of lost wages, and other benefits.
Fault is not a factor in workers’ compensation claims. You do not have to show that your employer did anything wrong to cause your injuries or illness. You may recover benefits even if you did something careless that caused the accident.
As longtime members of the Manchester community, the attorneys of the Kocian Law Group are here to help those who’ve been hurt at work. We’re here to ensure that you get the workers’ comp benefits that you need and deserve. Call our dedicated worker’s comp attorneys today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with us.
Steps for Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Manchester
If you need to file a workers’ compensation claim in Connecticut, you’ll need to take the following steps:
- Step 1: Immediately report the work-related injury or illness to your employer.
- Step 2: Receive initial medical treatment from a doctor designated by your employer.
- Step 3: Properly file a Notice of Claim for Compensation (Form 30C) with your employer as well as the Workers’ Compensation Commission District Office.
You must follow these steps to file a workers’ compensation claim in Connecticut. However, an employee must also clear several other hurdles before receiving compensation.
To get even more information on how to file a claim, take a look at the State of Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Commission’s information packet. It is also a good idea to consult with a local workers’ compensation attorney as soon as possible if you’ve been hurt at work in Manchester. Your attorney can help you with the process of filing and seek the full benefits you’re owed.
How Our Manchester Workers’ Compensation Attorneys Can Help You
It’s possible to file a workers’ compensation claim without an attorney’s assistance. However, any employee who suffers a serious work-related injury or illness should seek advice from an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer to make sure that there are no issues that will delay payments or cost them the benefits they need. Even if you are already receiving benefits, you should still have a lawyer review your case for free to make sure you are getting everything the law says you deserve.
Here are some reasons for getting legal help with your claim:
- Only qualified employees can collect workers’ compensation, and sometimes it can be challenging to prove that you are qualified.
- Workers’ compensation is an “exclusive remedy,” which precludes the injured or ill employee from suing their employer for any other compensation related to the injury or illness. Your lawyer can help ensure that you get the treatment you need and the financial payments you deserve
- If a third-party like a property owner, other driver, contractor, tool or equipment manufacturer, or other entity caused your injuries, you could be eligible to file a third-party injury claim against them to recover additional compensation. Your lawyer can help you take this action and will seek the maximum amount of compensation possible.
Your lawyer will be your advocate through the workers’ comp claims process, and they will make sure that you don’t miss out on vital benefits that you need to support yourself and your loved ones.
What Do Workers’ Comp Benefits Cover?
Connecticut’s workers’ compensation system provides various types of benefits for qualifying employees. Most of these are aimed at reimbursing for medical treatments or lost wages due to the injury or illness suffered. These benefits include compensation for the following:
- Medical treatment
- Temporary total disability
- Temporary partial disability
- Permanent partial disability
- Relapse or recurrence
- Discretionary benefits
- Job retraining
Time Limits for Workers’ Compensation Claims in Connecticut
There is a statute of limitations for filing claims. Connecticut workers’ compensation claims can only be filed within one year of the day on which the injury occurred or within three years of the first symptom of an occupational disease.
In other words, a claim for workers’ compensation in Connecticut will only be considered if the claimant (the injured employee) submits a Form 30C (Notice of Claim for Compensation) to their employer as well as the appropriate Workers’ Compensation Commission District Office. The form must be sent by registered or certified mail before the statute of limitations expires.
Tips for Protecting Your Rights After a Workplace Accident in Manchester
If you’ve been injured in a workplace accident, it is critical that you protect your rights. While your top priority should be getting the medical care that you need, it’s also important that you take care to document each step of this process as thoroughly as you can. This documentation will be extremely helpful if you end up filing a workers’ compensation claim.
Some tips for documenting your accident and recovery include:
- If possible, take photos and videos right after the accident occurs. Show where you were injured, what injured you, the extent of your injuries, and the surroundings exactly as they were when you were harmed.
- While the incident is still fresh in your mind, jot down as many notes as you can. Describe in detail what happened, when it happened, how it happened, and who was there.
- Keep a record of everything related to your medical care and recovery. The records should include the date and reason for every doctor visit, every prescription, and every bill. They should also include a timeline showing the progress of your recovery.
You can help safeguard your legal rights by consulting with an experienced personal injury lawyer before filing a workers’ compensation claim.
Talk to Our Manchester Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Now
In the wake of a work-related accident or illness, an injured employee can often find themselves overwhelmed with unexpected medical bills and may have limited means to pay them.
Here at the Kocian Law Group, we understand this unfortunate reality. We make it our highest priority to help secure the compensation our clients are entitled to as quickly and painlessly as possible. To see what our experienced Manchester workers’ compensation lawyers can do for you, contact us today for a free consultation.