Back Injuries and Diseases
If you have sustained permanent injuries to your neck (cervical), middle back (thoracic) and/or low back (lumbar) spine areas and the symptoms generated from these injuries are severely debilitating, then you may qualify for Social Security Disability benefits.
A common problem with back injuries is decreased range of motion due to muscle spasms and pain. You may have an orthopedic treating physician who determines that you are unable to work. Some spinal impairments can plague you with persistent medical problems and cause an inability to hold any job.
To qualify for Social Security Disability benefits:
- You must be incapable of carrying out the duties of your previous job.
- Your spinal injury diagnosis must be so severe that it prohibits you from performing any substantial gainful work.
- The spinal injury diagnosis must last or be expected to last for twelve (12) months or more and/or to result in death.
When you suffer from back impairments, prolonged sitting and prolonged standing may be an impossibility for you. You may be unable to hold any job that requires you to be on your feet all day or to sit at a desk during the course of your entire work day. Your back injury and disease can severely limit your ability to work.
There are various back injuries and diseases included in the Listing of Impairments that may qualify you for disability benefits. Recognized back impairments include:
- Abnormal curvature of the spine (e.g. kyphosis and scoliosis);
- Degenerative disc disease, especially, if there is compression of the nerve roots;
- Facet arthritis;
- Herniated discs;
- Lumbar spinal stenosis;
- Osteoarthritis or degenerative joint disease;
- Spinal arachnoiditis; and
- Vertebral fractures
If you are unsure about your qualifications for disability benefits, then you need to consult with a law firm that can evaluate your case thoroughly. The Kocian Law Group accomplishes this by demonstrating that you are incapable of carrying out the duties required of your previous work due to the severity of the spinal illness and proving your spinal impairments are so pervasive that they prevent you from engaging in any type of substantial gainful work, not only your past job.
The Kocian Law Group handles these types of back injuries and diseases on a regular basis.
If you would like to discuss the merits of your claim for disability benefits contact us now for your complimentary consultation. When you consult with the Kocian Law Group:
- We will review your medical records meticulously to ascertain the impairments that may qualify you for a disability.
- We will provide representation at any stage of the process whether it be assisting you with an on-line initial application or marshaling evidence to present at a reconsideration level or preparing you thoroughly for your testimony at an administrative hearing before the judge.
- We will make ourselves accessible to you, at your convenience, by telephone, in person or via the internet.